Thursday, May 19, 2011

When to Cut the Kid from the Booby...

So I recently had a thiiiing happen.

I take Lexi to this play class, ya know the blow up jumpers, soft climbing things kind of play class?  There is a little boy there who is 3 and he is a wild thing.  He is a mean skinny little kid...So I was the only adult in the jumper thing and he comes in and starts grabbing the balls from the kids.  Not nice, I know.  I nicely said, "T, the other kids are playing with the balls (including my daughter you little f-er), can you leave some in here?"  It was as if I hadn't said anything at all.  He took the balls and started throwing them out of the jumper, he wasn't even playing with them...he was just being a little piece of you know what.  So he grabbed one from Lexi and I said, "T, that is not nice." And I took it back......

Okay, so now you can either judge me or not.  Yeah it was childish, but if you are not there to discipline your child then I will.  I was nice and gave him a chance to fix it and he did not.  So I took the freakin' ball from him.  He left the jumper screaming crying...I mean, you would've thought I beat the living shit out of him.  I kind of felt bad, but at the same time I didn't.  His mom wasn't in there to tell him he was being rude, what was I supposed to do?  Sit in the jumper with a bunch of sad little kids or have one sad mean kid run crying to his mommy?  Easy peasy...

So there is this huge blow up log thing that the kids can sit on or jump on while holding their parents hands.

One minute the mother is holding her son and comforting him because he was freaking out...the next minute she is sitting on this log in the middle of the room....breast feeding her 3 year old son....to sooth him...or he walked up to her and asked for a snack...I don't know.

Now I recently had a little discussion about this with a "lactivist" because I really felt it was the inappropriate time and place to be doing that.  She opened my eyes a bit, but I still feel that if she really wanted to breast feed her 3 year old, she could have gone to the side of the room, left the room altogether, or told her son that he could wait...or eat some freakin' pretzels.  

What do you all think?  I am all for breast feeding!  Please don't get me wrong.  I know how hard it is and how rewarding it is and how strong the connection is between mother and child.  I also know how hard it is to stop, especially if you have to stop and it isn't by choice.  When it comes to nutrition, if your 3 year old isn't getting what they need at that point there is something wrong.  We do not live in a 3rd world county where it is an absolute necessity to breast feed until later years.  We have formula, vitamins, good food....you pay to go to a play class so obviously you have money to throw around a bit....

Let me know what you think?  How old is to old in your opinion and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Potty Princess

Potty Princess
The 2nd time she pooed in the potty, half of it got in there....the other half, well went down the drain in the tub.